From: Ed Hawkins
To: STMFC
Sent: Wed, Nov 13, 2013 2:18 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] hopper terminology

On Nov 13, 2013, at 12:45 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

would this DL&W offset hopper be classified as an "Advisory Mechanical Committee"
design, or something else?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291006783554

Tim,
Based on the shape of the pressed side panels between the bolsters and corner posts, I believe the car would aptly fall into the Enterprise design. This design used "stepped" side sheets to transition from the bolsters to the co rner posts. This design is discussed & illustrated in RP CYC Vol. 25 along with the A.A.R. and A.M.C. designs for comparison.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins