Re: Gulf Refining tank cars in 1929

Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>

At 11:06 AM 11/15/2013, Richard Hendrickson wrote:
On Nov 15, 2013, at 8:40 AM, Ian Cranstone
<<mailto:lamontc@...>lamontc@...> wrote:
On Nov 14, 2013, at 7:21 PM,
<mailto:madchemep2@...>madchemep2@... wrote:
The dome on the tank car seems so oversize
although I know they were big, this one seems to be huge. Al Campbell
Standard size (2%) dome for a 10,ooo gal. car,
Al, which is what these were. the running
boards at each end of the domes, as well as
along the sides, may make the domes seem bigger than they were.
I hate to disagree with Richard, but…

The one car I can read the number clearly on was somewhat larger -- the 1970 Tank Car
Capacities volume identifies GATX 30503 as
being a 12484 gallon car, with a rather large dome of 535 gallon capacity.
Nice catch, Ian. I should have looked it
up! I’ll still say, however, that the domes look proportiononal to the tanks.
I'm not familiar with the "1970 Tank Car
Capacities" volume; Would this information refer
to the 1920s-built (1922?) tank car? ...or a later car with the same number?

Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA