From: Benjamin Hom To: STMFC
Sent: Fri, Nov 22, 2013 11:48 am
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Wabash RY: OB, Door + 3/4, Auto Car, Help

Dave Sarther asked:
"I am searching for some data and photos about the Wabash 40', single sheathed wood, outside braced, door and 3/4 auto cars from WAB series #45400-45999 built in 1926-27. The data I have found so far is from ORER's from 1937, 1954 and 1955. I would like to supplement this information with some photos of cars from the series to complete a model. I also believe that there was an article about these cars in the Mainline Modeler Nov - Dec 1980 issue, Volume 1 No 5.  If you can help me with either photos or shared information from MM please contact me."

http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/wabssautomain.html

There is indeed an article by George Drake in the Nov-Dec 1980 issue of Mainline Modeler plus drawings. Usual warning about working from Hundman drawings applies. See also Bill Darnaby's "Building Resin Kits - a Wabash automobile box car" from the February 1993 issue of Mainline Modeler for a construction article on the HO scale Funaro model.

Ben Hom

P.S.: "Outside Braced" is not an accurate description of these cars and is not supported by any industry literature.