Re: C&BT reefer roof

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Tony, he said INVERSE, not REVERSE. You are right, they are two different things. A REVERSE end is just an end that is essentially turned around. An INVERSE end is the one you are describing, which is more like a mirror image of the normal outward stampings. At least, that's what makes sense to me. YMMV. 8-)

         You are entirely right, Tim, he DID say "inverse." But the reason I objected, and continue to object, is that people readily confuse inverse and reverse. In many situations, "inverse" means "turned upside down," top to bottom, which is not what we mean with freight car ends. We can understand "reverse" as rotated 180 degrees, and that is how I would describe an end, whether corrugated or Dreadnaught, which has its major  corrugations inward to the car instead of outward. "Inverse" could be taken to mean the same thing, thus the risk of confusion. 
         My own usage is to call the ends with outward-facing corrugations, but set inward to the plane of the end, "recessed" or "inset." This avoids the confusion between reverse and inverse. I try not to use "inverse" at all for car ends.
         But as Tim wisely says, YMMV.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Join to automatically receive all group messages.