Re: Replacing wheels in brass trucks. Was: HO Scale Freight Car Truck Do

Monk Alan <Alan.Monk@...>

We sometimes have similar issues here with our freight trucks (bogies), though our aftermarket ones tend to be cast in whitemetal/pewter, rather than brass castings/stampings.

The main problems are similar to those you have with brass trucks:

Mismatched sides

Poor/non-existant cones for pin-point bearings/axles

Difficult to build true/square

The general solution we use is a simple etched brass fold-up inner, set up for our standard brass ‘top-hat’ pinpoint bearings and wheelsets, onto which the sideframes (usually once the rear surface is filed suitably flat and rough holes drilled for the bearings) are glued or soldered as desired. You end up with a true and very free-running truck.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KBtTV9Zreq4/UAW48vsj9FI/AAAAAAAAAtI/txBw5knJSxA/s1600/P1010002-003.JPG shows a simple fold-up set for a passenger truck, but similar etches are available for a number of wheelbase lengths, sideframe types, freight and passenger. http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/a1-models-a8314-bogie-frames-28318-0.html

Where required, the etch has openings in the fold down sections to match openings in the truck sideframes, retaining the ‘see-through’ look. Some manufacturers have taken that simple fold-up design and added 3-point compensation or even full springing, for those working in our finest standards.

Regards,
Alan Monk

Reading, UK

The contents of this e-mail and any attached files are confidential. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately at postmaster@... and remove it from your system. If received in error, please do not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy this email or its content. Transport for London excludes any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy of the contents of this email and any attached files.

Transport for London is a statutory corporation whose principal office is at Windsor House, 42-50 Victoria Street, London, SW1H 0TL. Further information about Transport for London’s subsidiary companies can be found on the following link: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/about-tfl/4510.aspx

Although TfL have scanned this email (including attachments) for viruses, recipients are advised to carry out their own virus check before opening any attachments, as TfL accepts no liability for any loss, or damage which may be caused by viruses.