Re: Hides

Don <riverman_vt@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Norm Larkin" <lonolarkin1@...> wrote:

Thanks. Anyone know if some of the hide traffic to Elkland originated in New England?
Norm Larkin

My gut feeling is that hide traffic was destined to New England and did not originate there. The large, and now gone to the best of my knowledge, Lawrence Leather Co. operated in Peabody, Mass. and Winchester, NH. and received hides from elsewhere. There was also a company off the south side of Granite St. in Manchester, NH in the early 1960's and 1970's that received hides in CB&Q cars which, unfortunately, I never took any photos of, nor did I ever note the name of the company. New England was a processor of hides for the large shoe industry within the region in the first half of the 1900's but as the shoe industry wound down in the region so did the leather tanneries.

Cordially, Don Valentine