Re: CN 8-Hatch Reefers

Douglas Harding

Charles interesting reading. As always excellent research. I do wonder about the intended use of the blueberries in the loads. I question your idea the blueberries were destined for Griffin-Touhey. I don’t recall seeing fruit cocktail containing blueberries, but I have seen a lot of blueberry pie filling. If, as you indicate in your blog, the Fruit Growers Coop had a cherry pie filling canning operation, I suspect the blueberries were actually destined for Fruit Growers to become pie filling. Another possibility is the berries were canned by Giffin-Touhey as blue berries, not cocktail.

Either way a good excuse to run a CN 8-hatch reefer.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org