Re: Great Northern herald decal; and automobile weathering

Douglas Harding

Denny I recall reading years ago how Malcom Furlow keep a box of dirt handy for just the job you mentioned. He would drop the vehicle in the box, roll it around a few times, and it was weathered. If you are concerned about the windows, do what the prototype does, wash them, ie use a damp cotton swab or micro brush after the roll in the dirt. Of course in my opinion you need good Iowa dirt, not the wimpy stuff you find in California. Next time you’re at Okoboji dig up the front yard.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org