Re: UP Kitbash 40' Double Door SERVICE Help

Richard Townsend

The Athearn model, while having perhaps an accurate paint job (I haven't checked) is incorrect for the express boxes.  Among other things, it is too tall.  I am not at home so I don't have my references in front of me, but the cars were covered in one or two issues of the RPCyc (vols 6 and maybe 8).  There was an article on kitbashing the car from an Intermountain PFE R-40-25 reefer in an issue of the UPHS's Streamliner (vol 15, #3, with an update in vol 16, #1).  I did a kitbash years ago using a C&BT boxcar and a Front Range boxcar, and while I think I might have been able to come up with a more difficult approach I can't imagine how at this point.  At the time I thought my approach made sense.  I used Champ decals but Microscale makes a better set (87-683) for this car.  For trucks I used a set of Cape Line trucks; I think they were Symington-Gould High Speed (now available from Bethlehem Car Works as their #1219).

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Thu, Dec 26, 2013 3:01 pm
Subject: [STMFC] UP Kitbash 40' Double Door SERVICE Help

UP Challenger Merchandise Service
UP Two-tone Grey Express Service
UP Armour Yellow Express Service
On the Athearn site all these boxcars were offered in 2005-8 and are here: Athearn page covering the UP express boxcars released between 2005 and 2008and here: http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=40%27+Box+RTR+Double&CatID=THRF&RN=UP. All shown are double door 40' boxcars
I also read that the 40' double door boxcars Athearn used were a hold over from their purchase of Model Die Casting and it looks as if similar boxcars, under numerous Flags were produced by Roundhouse and may be during the same time period and from the same production mold as well.
Although the paint schemes may (or may not?) be correct for all the boxcars Athearn used to create double door sales, I need some direction to clarify how the UP Service boxcars were specifically painted and how the exterior structure should be created in an accurate model.
I would appreciate all input and direction, especially from individuals who have modeled these particular boxcars, or modeled the 40s-50s double door boxcar on which it looks to be based.
I hope you can help,
Joeldee/Berlin

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.