Re: Rutland RR Box Car red

Don <riverman_vt@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Rich C <rhcdmc@...> wrote:

According to Funaro & Camerlengo, The Rutland's Freight Car color was called Cherry. They call for a 50/50 mix of Floquil Box Car Red and Caboose Red (The bright version).

Rich Christie

Steve Funaro is definitely out to lunch on this one. While some,
and ceertainly not all, of the Rutland cabeese were repainted in a
much brighter red in the late 1940's and early 1950's until the
cabeese began to be painted in the green and yellow of the diesels
and new Pullman-Standard PS-1 boxcars calling it "cherry" red might
be a bit of a stretch from the color photos I've seen over the years.
Additionally, in the 1960's and 1970's there were a lot of double sheathed Rutland 36 ft. and 40 ft. box cars around in various places around the system. I do not recall ever seeing one in the brighter red used on some of the cabeese, though I woould not conclude that it never happened. I would, however, conclude that it is highly unlikely. I'll try to find and post a photo of the Rutland 40 ft.
boxcar retored by the Strasburg R.R. which is probably as close a match as I have seen to what the survivors of the early 1970's looked like. This may be closer to an oxide red than anything else.

Cordially, Don Valentine