WWII Freight Movements to the Charleston POE

George Eichelberger

I have located many pieces of correspondence in the SRHA Archives from the Southern Railway Charleston Div Superintendent’s office for a presentation on "Military Movements on the Southern Railway Charleston Division During WWII” I’ll be doing at the Cocoa Beach RPM meet in a couple of weeks.

Because of various orders from the Office of Defense Transportation (ODT), the concept of home or foreign road cars or more typical pre-war routings did not apply to Gov’t shipments during the war. As an example, War Department Release WF-350102-W was for 20 cars of oil moving from Port Arthur, Texas to the Charleston Port of Embarkation in August, 1944. Routing was KCS-L&A-MSC-Sou-CG-ACL. Although the shipment was oil, I assume these were all box cars with the oil in drums. Originated on KCS, note that there are no home road cars (?L&E) used in the movement. (Dates are when the cars left Port Arthur.) The final legs on CG and ACL do not seem like a very direct route given a lot of Charleston traffic moved through Atlanta and Augusta via GARR and Southern? (Were CP cars subject to ODT orders?)

NYC 121586 August 21
NYC 133975 August 21
Sou 162273 August 21
ACL 57242 August 21
PRR 98129 August 21
Milw 593139 August 21
NWP 2161 August 21
NKP 290 August 21
ATSF 44160 August 22
Sou 27145 August 22
CP 172768 August 22
ATSF 121587 August 22
RI 146433 August 24
SP 30583 August 24
PRR 92080 August 24
NYC 265107 August 24
TNO 50116 August 24
RI 157468 at POE
L&E 8122 at POE
IGN 14098 at POE

Release 19034 covered 15 car loads of beer moving from Newark, NJ to the Charleston POE in May, 1943. Only two cars are mentioned in the letter: RI 145297 and C&O 4461.

Ike