Re: car tire weights

Andy Harman

I went searching for lead flashing in the Cincinnati area and came up empty.  Apparently it's just not used in roofing around here the way it is out west.  I wound up ordering a 3x6' lead sheet from McMaster-Carr in Cleveland about 8 years ago.  I've probably used half of it.  It is the easiest to work with, better than shot, tire weights or anything else.  Used it in freight, passenger, locos etc.  I also have some Cerrobend on hand which comes in handy on some applications... Like steam loco boilers.

Sent from my overpriced graham cracker

On Dec 31, 2013, at 10:12 AM, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...> wrote:

(My) common sources for car weights:  salvage from ubiquitous medical facilities that have had lead-lined rooms for x-rays;  printing type (the best source because they are already perfectly sized);  lead flashing-  easy (easy!) to use and commonly available without having to melt, etc.; and mounds of foreign currency that are either impractical or impossible to exchange, e.g. Franks, Baht, Rubles, more Franks, Pesos, Francs, and Crowns (various).  I have not yet had to use car weights because of the ease of using the foregoing, but....I am prepared to do so!

Denny

Denny S. Anspach
Sacramento, CA