Re: car tire weights

Andy Harman

At 01:26 PM 1/1/2014 -0800, you wrote:
I agree with Andy, lead sheet is far easier to work with than wheel weights. I bought my sheet of lead at a plumbing supply place, so if you strike with roofing supplies, you can try plumbers. My sheet, like Andy's, is probably only half used -- definitely a lifetime supply.

Many of my customers in the 80s up through the mid 90s were in the printing business and they still used lead type here and there. I have about 75 lbs of slugs with names of long out-of-business banks and businesses on them. Some are aluminum - not really usable - but most are lead/zinc alloy type and are at least flat. I used these for a long time back in the days when I tended to overweight my freight cars. But they're rather thick - 1/8" or more, and not being pure lead they tend to break rather than bend, or crumble if you try to pound them flat. Genuine pure lead sheet is much more malleable and you can cut it with scissors, fold it, etc. I probably won't use the slugs at all anymore.

One customer had 2-foot longs of blank leading... they printed election forms and other government stuff. They gave me a nice bundle of those strips way back in the mid 1980s. Much thinner, and smooth - used them up on all of the passenger cars I kitbashed back then. But the lead sheet is even better.

Andy