Re: New York Central USRA 50-ton gondola paint color

Charles Hladik

Eric,
    It depends on the time frame.
    The site states that up until 2/41 they were black, then they were red.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 1/13/2014 1:40:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, eric@... writes:

Here's a question that has bothered me for a while. I model 1926 and have built a few of the Intermountain USRA 50-ton gondolas. Long ago I bought a few for New York Central with as-delivered lettering. These are painted mineral brown.

http://www.intermountain-railway.com/ho/html/46604.htm

The NYC paint and lettering detail on the Canada Southern site indicates all NYC gondolas were painted black, yet Intermountain has produced a couple of runs of these New York Central gondolas in original lettering using the mineral brown paint.

What is the correct paint for as-built New York Central USRA 50-ton gondolas? Black or brown?

< p style="color:rgb(0, 0, 0);font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;background-color:transparent;font-style:normal;">

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX