Re: An in service pix of the C&O waffle iron end boxcar!

Tony Thompson

Fenton Wells wrote:

By the way the Southern Railway used the word monogram and not herald.  I have been corrected more than a few times ;>)

       I vividly remember when I interviewed Earl Hopkins, the retired Chief Mechanical Officer of PFE, and said something in passing about a "herald." He looked blank and said "what?" I soon learned that he had never heard the word applied to railroad cars. On the PFE (and SP too) it was usually "medallion," sometimes "emblem."

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history