Re: logos, emblems, and monograms Oh My!

Tony Thompson

Frank Greene wrote:

I agree "medallion" connotes a physical object.  Southern drawings for the "SR in a circle" are labeled "Monogram", except where it's painted on a metal disk bolted to the nose of a diesel electric.  In that instance, it's a "Medallion".

      My dictionary says, if it's not a physical medal, it's an "oval or circular design." It's true that PFE for a few years used metal plates for this purpose, but SP never did, to my knowledge, and SP likewise called their emblem a medallion (so identified on lettering drawings). I think it is not correct to try and insist it connotes a physical object. Round designs called medallions are used in decorations such as carpets and textiles.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history