Re: Army troop cars in transit

Curt Fortenberry

Right, I have read Pat's article.  What I'm saying is a subtle point, while the War Assets Administration did advertise the cars availability, the ARR, being a federal entity, requested transfer of the assets at some point in the process.  Of course the federal gov't kept some cars well past this list's timeframe.  This is still a practice in federal property regulations, that other federal entities get first crack at surplus material.

The ORER is not a good indication of the ARR roster as until the introduction of rail-barge service to Alaska in the 60's, the ARR wasn't included in the ORER since there was no true interchange.  The cars that still exist in MOW are both rebuilt troop cars and unrebuilt (except for brake system).  They were still using Allied trucks into the 90's since the annual mileage on the MOW cars was only in the hundreds per year.

Curt Fortenberry