Re: Cudahy Meat Reefer End Color Question

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

Tony, et. al.

I had already scanned the four color pictures available, so I opened the best one in Photoshop Elements along with all four Tru Color color chip files (they scanned them in four files with one quarter of the chart in each file). It would have been easier to get direct comparisons if the color chart was in one file, but after several sampling attempts, I gave up on a direct comparison and did an eyeball color match to the fascia, recorded the RBG numbers for the eyeball and eyedropper sample, then looked at the likely Tru Color candidates for similar RBG numbers. The eyedropper samples vary within a solid color chip depending upon where on the chip you sample, so I use the averaging method to arrive at the RBG number. That narrowed the field to D&RGW Orange, Guilford Orange, and Milwaukee Road Orange. That was a surprise, because my eye sees more red than orange in the photo. I was able to get a perfect match with the eyedropper sample and the eyeball match with all three colors by moving the cursor around a little in the color gradient, which indicates that any of these colors could be mixed to a perfect photo match by either the sample or eyeball method. Comparing the RBG numbers, Guilford Orange is the best eyedropper sample match, while Milwaukee Orange is the best eyeball match. My inclination is to go with the eyeball match, since it has the most red of the three colors. I’ll order both colors and see which one I like best.

I hadn’t done anything like this until now, so thank you Tony for spurring me to try something new.

As Tony points out, there are a lot of variables in color matching, and ultimately the appearance of the car under layout lighting will be the final measure of success.

Nelson Moyer