Re: Missing Parts in Sunshine Kits

Rich C

Thanks Gentlemen for the heads up. I have purchased roughly 20 kits in the past year. Guess I will start checking for missing parts on mine.

Rich Christie

On Saturday, January 25, 2014 9:49 AM, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

I checked my stache of truss rod reefer kits by Sunshine and while they do include the etched hatch cover latches, none include nylon line( I used leftovers from Westerfield GN and CB&Q truss rod boxcar kits for the Sunshine refrigerator kits)  for the truss rods since some modelers may like to use wire.  Running boards can also be made of plastic or extra ones from other resin kits.  Yes, the PDS instructions are of little use for the truss rod reefer kits but the picture of the under frame with the KC brakes should be all you need.
Having built WFEX, FGEX and BREX truss rod kits, if you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 6:50 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Missing Parts in Sunshine Kits

I’m just beginning to work on my stash of Sunshine kits accumulated over the past two years, and so far I’ve found missing parts in three BREX 1950s War Emergency Reefer, Tongue in Groove Sides, Kit #34.20 (wood style running boards were missing in three of five kits), and BREX 78000 Series Truss Rod Reefer, Kit # 34.14 (metal etched hatch cover latches and monofilament line for truss rods missing in one kit). I haven’t built any Sunshine truss rod cars before, so I’m not sure that they provide monofilament as in the Westerfield kits for truss rod cars that I’ve built. Instructions for #34.14 were appended to the PDS for FGEX, WFEX, and NX Wood Reefers, and there is no mention of installing truss rods in the PDS instructions, and the FGEX, WFEX,MX instruction sheet is entirely useless for building the truss rod car. It is assumed that the builder knows how to do that, I guess. The hatch cover latches are reference in the PDS instructions, so I know they should have been included in the kit.

If you have not done so already, I’d recommend doing a parts inventory on any Sunshine kits you’ve received over the past 2 years. I’ve written to Sunshine for missing parts, but I’m not too optimistic about availability. I’ve thought about scratchbuilding the missing running boards using stripwood, but that’s a last resort.

Nelson Moyer