Re: Are Moisture Traps Always Necessary?

John H <sprinthag@...>

In a word; Yes!

Compressors heat air during compressing and sitting in the tank cools it, producing some moisture. How much depends on several variables but it is a good safety device. There is nothing more thrilling than putting on a final coat on a three color paint job (like an early AA set of GN E7's)and having your air brush spit out a few drops of water. Ask me how I know.

That said I haven't had actually found any water in the trap for several years now, probably because the house I was painting in was air conditioned but I would still get some moisture spray when draining the tanks.

I mean for the cost of a moisture trap that you will likely never have to replace it is cheap insurance.

John Hagen

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I currently use a "Campbell-Hausfeld" compressor w/a two gallon tank
to power my airbrush. Previous to this I had a Craftsman w/an even
larger tank and in both cases a moisture trap was attached between
the compressor and the airbrush's hose. Presumably there may states
in the Union w/higher humidity than Tennessee and Virginia but never
during the some 20 years of use in such environs do I ever remember
seeing any moisture in the trap or feeling any moisture when I have
bled the trap. OTOH, when I open the tank's valve to bleed it, I do
feel moisture on my fingers.

Recently, apparently overcome by fumes from Modelflex paint, I have
become quite unhinged and now find myself the owner of two new
Gravity Feed airbrushes to supplement my Siphon Feed Badger 155
Anthem. The same effects have caused me to accessorize wildly
including buying quick detach fittings for the airbrushes and a
second braided hose, although the quick detaches might seem to make
the second hose redundant. Still I like the idea. Among the
accessories was a T-Joint to connect both air hoses to my C-H. As I
proceeded cleaning up the Teflon tape from the current fittings to re-
arrange all of the plumbing and re-tape before screwing everything
together, I wondered is it really necessary to re-attach the moisture
trap? After all Florida's humidity, at least where I am, is trivial
compared to previous places, so what are the chances after all of
these years that the trap is actually going to capture any moisture.
I should add that never during these years have I ever seen any
evidence of moisture as I paint, so I am sure the trap is not letting
moisture escape through it.

As I thought about this in the shower this morning I wondered why no
moisture gets into the airline from the tank? Then it occurred to me
maybe it is the 100 PSI pressure in the tank holding the heavier-than-
air water against the sides of the tank, or some other mysterious
scientific fact that prevents moisture escaping into the airline.
Including the Moisture Trap in the plumbing means more places for air
to leak out but more important to me at least extends the plumbing
out from the compressor even more now with the T-Connecter and the
two hoses. Leaving the apparently redundant Moisture Trap off will
make for a more compact arrangement that appeals to me.

I am curious if anyone can think of a good reason why I should
include the Moisture Trap in the new plumbing arrangement?

Living dangerously!

Bill Welch