Re: Are Moisture Traps Always Necessary?

Andy Harman

In the summer of 1978 I was living in a college apartment, and painting with a Paasche H airbrush and a WR Brown "Speedy Sprayer" compressor. Only the living room of my apartment was air conditioned, the bedroom was where I had my workbench and did my painting. In humid subtropical Cincinnati, I commonly got blasts of moisture out of my airbrush which didn't mix well with the Floquil I was spraying. The Brown compressor was a noisy little piston compressor without a tank of any kind, so the air flow was always pulsing.

I bought a Paasche in-line moisture trap and spliced it into the airbrush hose. I never had any more splats of moisture. Not there, not in my fully air conditioned townhouse from 1979 to 1983, not in my fully air conditioned condo from 1984 to 1991, not in my fully air conditioned house from 1992 to 2003, and not in my fully air conditioned Hoosier House from 2003 to present.

The weird thing is I've never emptied the moisture trap. I have a Sears 12 gallon compressor that I've been using for almost 20 years now. I don't do a huge amount of painting but I probably paint twice a month or so. I'm still using the same airbrush hose and trap that I got back in 78. My H has been retired and I use a Millennium VL now for pretty much everything.

Andy