Re: C&NW freight car brown color

Tim O'Connor

Ya know, I saw an incredible variety of TCP "box car red" colors for
sale at the Big E train show, and I even bought a few bottles. But I
basically chose them by COLOR, not road name.

WHEN are people going to let go of the idea that there is a "correct"
freight car color for a particular railroad freight car model? If you
use a variety of shades, and a variety of weathering and fading techniques,
your freight car fleet is going to look very good. If you simply buy
"C&NW #3" and apply that to all of your C&NW freight cars, they're not
going to look right, unless you only model a new car assembly line.

Which is not to bash TCP. I love the variety of colors they offer!

Tim O'Connor

Fenton - I heartily recommend the new TCP paints. They have put a great effort into mixing the correct formulas to match the original ACF and P-S paint chips. Ed Hawkins is a consultant on this and he and Pat Wider have clippings from all the actual bill of materials Bowles drift cards from the ACF factory before it closed. Between 1943 and 1959, the C&NW used a lot of DuPont CNW #3 which matches TCP-925. You can buy this either from Protocraft or TCP directly. The original and correct colors are rather dark and you may want to experiment with replicating some oxidation using a few drops of TCP-179 gray. Norm Buckhart