Re: Shipyard loads

Tony Thompson

John Barry wrote:

I am modeling Richmond CA circa 1944.  The Kaiser yards were prominent industries served by the ATSF and SP. They received most of the boilers from Babcock & Wilcox but also from several other sources.  The majority of Richmond installed engines came from the Joshua Hendy works in Sunnyvale served by the SP.  The engines and boilers were unique loads shipped in open cars, does anyone have photos of such a load?   The steel plates are easier to find.

      John, a photo of an SP depressed center flat car with a boiler, being spotted at Richmond, is in my SP Freight Cars, Vol. 5, page 364. They are boilers from Western Pipe & Steel.  I can send you a scan off-list if you like.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history