Re: Semet Solvay Dome Platform

Tim O'Connor

Ok, I can't really tell that from any photos I have. I'm surprised a 2" thick
plank that was unsupported for a distance of 10 or 12 feet would be strong enough
to hold a 250 lb man walking on it, and holding up for years and years of service.
But if you say so, ok.

Tim O'

Tim O'Connor wrote

I don't think Type 27 walkways were wood -- they would have to be steel. Open-grid steel walkways came later, sometime in the 1950's I think. But platforms could have wood treads, which were probably less slippery than steel in many conditions.
      As late as 1940, numerous photos show new tank cars with wood walkways and wood dome platforms.

Tony Thompson