Re: [RPM-forum] Need TAG boxcar info; now N&W round roof box question

Benjamin Hom

Chris Frissell wrote:
"It's been often stated that these cars were based on the PRR X-32 plan, but it sounds like you're aware that's not necessarily correct.  At 14ft 6inches the door openings were almost a foot and a half wider, and the number and spacing of side posts and panels differed from the PRR design.  It looks to me that the N&W independently extended the 40-foot X31a/X31b flush roof design to generate their own 50-foot plan."

First, NO DASHES IN PRR CAR CLASSES!

Your assumptions above are incorrect.  PRR did revise the design of their 50 ft round roof automobile cars during the Class X32A production run to increase the door opening to 14 ft 6 in.

Cars with 12 ft door openings
X32: http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=X32-E400196.gif&sel=box&sz=sm&fr=
X32A: http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=x32a.gif&sel=box&sz=sm&fr=

Cars with 14 ft 6 in door openings:
X32A/X32B/X32C: http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=x32a_x32b_x32c.gif&sel=box&sz=sm&fr=

If you have N&W docuemntation prving otherwise, I'd love to see it.

Ben Hom