From: "Steve and Barb Hile"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:47:00 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] UTLX tank cars in 1924

Yes, the car on the left is a 6500 gallon type V Van Dyke frameless tank car.  The one on the right is interesting, too.  It appears to be one of their type BV cars, created by placing an existing tank (in this case one of the larger, probably 10,000 gallons) Van Dyke type tanks (note the way the bottom sheet extends beyond the tank ends) on one of the Bettendorf built underframes.  UTL purchased about 2500 underframes from Bettendorf in the first few years of the 20th Century and mixing tanks and frames was more common than we might think.

In 1907, 250 of the BV cars had early versions of in tank heaters added, this may have been one of them.  Cars with heaters were being numbered into the 5xxxx area.

You can also see that this tank appears to have two compartments as the dome does not appear to be centered.

This is a very cool find.  I am happy to see it.

Regards,

Steve Hile