From: "Tony Thompson"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:27:04 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] UTLX tank cars in 1924

MICHAEL CALO wrote:

Perhaps you can answer a question that's gnawed at me for decades - literally.  In the first picture being discussed there is a very large pipe on the side of the dome.  What is that for?  When were they discontinued?  And am I correct thath the top of the dome has only an access hatch?

      The elbow pipe is the safety valve connection to the dome. They were gradually superseded by dome-top safety valves but never outlawed. The dome top does have a manway opening, inside which is the valve handle for the car-bottom unloading valve.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history