From: Tony Thompson To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2014 7:19 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Molded plastic T section "BETTENDORF" freight car trucks NOT having wire springs

        I agree with Richard Hendrickson's opinion that the Red Caboose T-section truck is terrific looking, but if you operate them, that opinion will fall fast. They simply do not perform well, getting out of tram easily and other defects. I have replaced all the ones I got with the Red Caboose stock cars (partly because Vulcan trucks were far more common on SP stock cars than any T-section replacement trucks) but also just so the cars could run on the layout. I have been told that RC contemplated a better version of this truck, but don't know if that ever happened before the InterMountain takeover.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         http://www.signaturepress.com/
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history