Re: NP box car trucks

Guy Wilber

Jim Dick wrote:

"My NP notes show the Engineering diagram for these trucks (actually dated to 1913) was not discontinued until 1949."

Jim,

January 1, 1949 was the original date on which side frames with "T" or "L" section members were to be prohibited in interchange.  This new provision was added as of January 1, 1946.  As with many of the Interchange dates the ruling was extended numerous times by the AAR's Arbitration Committee.  Trucks with "I" section members were not included in the original ruling, but they were added in 1950.

Unlike arch bar side frames, railroads were not required to report the quantities of these designs of side frames to the ICC as they were replaced, but it is quite likely that the numbers fell off substantially between 1946 and 1949.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada