From: "Richard Hendrickson"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 3:05:26 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] UTLX tank cars in 1924

On Feb 17, 2014, at 12:38 PM, MICHAELCALO3403 <michaelcalo3403@...> wrote:

Tony -
How prevalent were the tank cars with the elbow vents on the dome sides during WWII?

I’m sure Tony won’t complain if I answer this for him.  Safety valves mounted on elbows attached the sides of the domes were standard practice in tank car construction through the World War I period and, in some cases, into the 1920s (especially on multiple compartment cars).  Most tank cars built ca. 1910-1920 - thousands of cars -  remained in service through World War II.  So cars of that description were prevalent in the national tank car fleet during WW II.

Richard Hendrickson