Re: weathering coal hopper interiors

Eric Hansmann

Tim,

I think this is a fine reference image for those who model coal hoppers for the last 25 years, but not for those who model the first 60 years of the 20th Century. Coating formulations, aka paint, have changed since 1960. Not all of those hoppers are steel either as aluminum has become more common in hopper construction.

My focus is on 1926, so I am always on the lookout for decent color images taken during the steam era. Interiors of open top cars are few and far between, but here is one for good reference. We get to see just enough of the interiors of several coal hoppers here.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=462981&nseq=0

Note the interiors aren't a uniform rusty shade. I use that image in conjunction with this classic Jack Delano shot as inspiration for weathering hopper interiors.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/2799

If list members are aware of additional color images of open top cars taken before 1956, please share links so we can all learn more.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso , TX