Re: Finishing Projects vs. Starting New Ones

Schuyler Larrabee

Charlie, I really don't know why you work so fast.

I'm not going to embarrass myself with the NUMBER of UFOs (really like that
term) but, well, I have these five EL 67000 series XM cars that I started,
um, back in (shhh) in 19 . . . ah, . . . (mumble, mumble).

Oh, sorry, I'll speak up if I have to. I said 1980 something. If I had
finished these back then, I'd have blown some socks off with the detail.
Now, yeah, well, nice work, but not quite leading edge now. Everything went
well up until I needed the double tapered rotating lever on the plug door
hardware. I'd mastered and had the rollers and the offset pivot parts cast
in brass, made the diagonal sloping levers from the vertical bars, but that
damned rotating lever . . . well, I've solved the part because Branchline
brought out the right car with the right parts and I badgered our good
friend Bill Schneider into selling me a few moldings, but well, there's
another half dozen (yeah, right) projects I need to finish first.

So at around 30 years, these are aging nicely in those boxes right over
THERE.

One other thing: NEVER do five of anything this complex.

Schuyler