Re: Sunshine resale values..Now tools

Tim O'Connor

Denny it's been my experience that higher RPM's (and SHARP drills)
in plastic work very well with a drill press, because you can do a
quick down-and-up move and there is no time for the material to heat
up and melt onto the drill. You can drill with very low RPM's and
that will prevent heating (because the heat disappates), but it will
also take a lot longer to make holes.

Tim O'Connor

I will echo Jack Burgess´┐Żs comments on the advantages of precision drilling. Pin vise drilling for handrails is more akin to trudging through deep sand than it is to joyful modeling. (I shudder, brace up, and take a deep draft before tackling any one of my stash of un-grabbed Walthers cars).

However, the comments about drill speed are confusing. Doing this in styrene is hazardous, only less so in resin. It CAN be done is one is disciplined to get in and back out fast. But, slower speeds have been better in my hands. Although I use a MicroMark drill press for most common things, I also have a 12 volt super- precision drill press made by a machinist in Alabama (Braxton??- memory infarct) (who also taught and played violin before his death about ten years ago). He preached a mantra of *slow *drilling with these tiny drills.

Well, intuitively I would guess that high speed might have some considerable value in metals, but all? What types of lubrication might tip the scales one way or another?

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento