Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 7:37 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Sunshine resale values..Now tools

I will echo Jack Burgess’s comments on the advantages of precision drilling. Pin vise drilling for handrails is more akin to trudging through deep sand than it is to joyful modeling.   (I shudder, brace up,  and take a deep draft before tackling any one  of my stash of un-grabbed Walthers cars).

However, the comments about drill speed are confusing. Doing this in styrene is hazardous, only less so in resin. It CAN be done is one is disciplined to get in and back out fast. But, slower speeds have been better in my hands.  Although I use a MicroMark drill press for most common things, I also have a 12 volt super- precision drill press made by a machinist in Alabama  (Braxton??-  memory infarct)  (who also taught and played violin before his death about ten years ago). He preached a mantra of *slow *drilling with these tiny drills.

Well, intuitively I would guess that high speed might have some considerable value in metals, but all?  What types of lubrication might tip the scales one way or another?

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento