Re: [EXTERNAL] J.W. Ellsworth Coal GL design cars (UNCLASSIFIED)

SUVCWORR@...

From a 1904 topo map,  Ellsworth was adjacent to Bentleyville,  It was on the PRR Monongahela & Washington Branch

Rich Orr

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Neubauer
To: STMFC
Sent: Wed, Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] [STMFC] J.W. Ellsworth Coal GL design cars (UNCLASSIFIED)

The coal mines were in the Pittsburgh area and went to Lackawanna Steel in 1907.

Eric

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Eric;

I did not educate myself sufficiently on this topic, since the PRR hopper effort was (perhaps) being pursued by other individuals within the PRRT&HS; however, there was some discussion at one time, some of it with Al Westerfield, over the number of hoppers in certain private fleets declining quickly, and the number of cars appearing in the ORERs under PRR ownership growing by roughly that number. If one were to take it on (ORER analysis), I would guess you could hazard some pretty good guesses as to what was happening, and when. I believe there were significant numbers (like thousands) of H21A that went that way, too. The Berwind-White GLA were some of the last cars leased/sold to the PRR, and surprisingly for a late date, the PRR found room on the roster for those small twins.

BTW, where did Ellsworth run these cars/interchange them onto the PRR?

Elden Gatwood