Re: reverse engineering or copying?

cinderandeight@...

This issue extends well beyond just copying models.  What about the wide spread scanning of photos?  I feel that this has lead to photo dealers cranking up their prices because they know that once a single image is sold, it will be scanned and maybe a dozen of more people will have it, who in turn will scan it for a dozen more..., which soon makes selling additional copies difficult.
This problem was brought home to me at an RPM several years ago.  I'd loaned a set of photos to one of the model magazines, and after a couple years of no action with them I requested their return only to be told they "couldn't find them".  They were photos from my personal collection that I'd never printed for others, but fortunately I owned the negatives and was able to reprint a set for my collection.  At this RPM I attended a show on a topic involving the same cars as my missing set of photos.  It was a very informative show and I enjoyed it, but I was a bit taken aback with it because a third of the illustrations were my "lost" photos, with no credit to my collection mentioned.  I would have gladly shared the photos with the show giver if I'd known his interest.
All I am saying is that perhaps those who freely share other's photos should consider what this might mean down the road as the sources of new photos dry up because there is little reward for the work of printing (or scanning) them.  The same can be said for the copying of models.  Someone had to do the work of developing the original patterns, and if his work is "pillaged" (thanks Pierre, good word for it) what incentive does he have to do more such work for others?  It's a matter of recognizing the efforts of others more than any money involved.  In the end we all work pretty much for free for this hobby.
    Rich Burg