Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] a nice shot of UTLX 59762

On Mar 21, 2014, at 10:17 AM, Claus Schlund HGM <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

For your viewing pleasure, a nice shot of UTLX 59762 photographed at Denver, Colo., May 21, 1935.

http://cdm15330.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/67212/rec/4417

Note the differing dome construction and safety valves.

If this is in fact a multi-compartment car, I cannot really see where the compartment divider bulkheads are positioned... maybe the
vertical rivet rows on the tank nearest to the outward domes?

Claus, your post prompted a lot of needless guesswork.  In fact, this was an 8K gal. UTL X-3 which had been converted into a three compartment car, leaving the original dome for the center compartment and adding smaller domes (with side-mounted safety valves, because there wasn’t room for them on top) for the end compartments.  UTL had a sizable number of similar cars, and General American had even more; I have numerous photos of cars from both owners which had been similarly converted from single compartment cars (and even a couple of photos of asymmetrical cars with a smaller compartment added at only one end).  The only thing unusual, though not unique, about this car is that there was more air space than usual between the internal diaphragms (essentially tank ends) that separated the three compartments.

Thanks for calling attention to this nice photo.

Richard Hendrickson