Re: nice shot of D&RGW 63786 - a 40ft double sheathed boxcar

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 21, 2014, at 1:13 PM, Claus Schlund HGM <claus@...> wrote:

Oops! The dimensional data on the side clearly calls this out as a 36ft car! My error!

- Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
From: "Claus Schlund HGM" <claus@...>
To: "STMFC" <STMFC@...>
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 1:11 PM
Subject: nice shot of D&RGW 63786 - a 40ft double sheathed boxcar

> Hi List Members,
>
> Another nice shot of D&RGW 63786 - a 40ft double sheathed boxcar.

Series 63500-64199 built in 1909.  Note the early Andrews trucks and the substantial steel underframe with channel side and end sills and fish belly steel center sills, one of the first of its kind when many box cars were still being built with truss rod underframes.  The 7-7 inverse corrugated steel ends were added later; the cars were originally built with wood sheathed ends.  There’s another photo of D&RGW 63993 in my book Focus on Freight Cars, Vol. 2.

Richard Hendrickson