Thank you all for answering my question. It looks like my idea got lots of raspberries, and that's o.k. Yes, Richard, I do have one of the Proto 2000 type 21s in Sinclair. This Walthers tank still has a use, along with a half-dozen or so unimproved Accurail boxcars and a couple of Athearn hoppers. They are expendable cars that visiting kids to run on my layout, and I won't be too upset if they take that long dive to the floor.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/28/14 4:33 PM, Riverboy wrote:

I don't want to sound too ignorant, but exactly which Walthers tank car are you referring to? I'd like to look and see how hideous it really is.

Tod Dwyer (Ohio)

From: Garth Groff
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 2:12 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Walthers Hideous Tank Car

Friends,

After a long break for other interests, I have returned to trains and
rejoined this group. It will be great to become reacquainted with old
friends, and make some new ones.

So I'm sitting here looking at a Walthers tank car. When I cleared out
my Athearn-quality cars years back I kept this car. I figured it would
be good to have a dozen or so "expendable" cars that guests or kids
could run on my layout and not cause me to have a coronary if they were
damaged, and at that time I was building a portable layout to take to a
now-defunct train show I often attended. Besides, it is a Sinclair car,
and my sweetheart is a Sinclair by descent. She always liked this car,
and it never hurts to score points with one's spouse.

I know the tank scales out to about 11K gallons and the dome is
oversized. What intrigues me is the underframe and tank saddles. Is the
underframe close to any prototype, especially one not done with more
quality by the IM or Proto cars? I'm wondering if anyone has ever
considered shimming the saddles and dropping a more prototypical tank
onto this underframe to get something a bit different. Detailing on the
frame itself is a bit clunky, but the corner steps, and some of the rods
and piping, could be replaced by wire for a layout-quality car.

Thoughts? Ideas? Raspberries?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff