Re: That 3 dome UTLX X-3 tank car

Bill Kelly

Tom,
One safely valve has been removed and plated over on the center dome. The angle of view makes it dificult to see the remaining safety but the rivets holding the plate covering the hole left after removing the safety can be seen. I can send you a photo of a similar car from a better angle that may clarify the situation.
Later,
Bill Kelly

Tom wrote:

Question about that most interesting UTLX 3-dome X-3 tank car Claus brought to our attention a week or so ago:

http://cdm15330.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/67212/rec/4417

I'm not seeing any safety valves on the center dome. On all the X-3 photos I've seen the top-mounted safety valves are very obvious. What am I missing?

Tom Madden