Re: Interesting car movements

Dave Nelson

WRT the mty NP flats… I’m of the opinion the Ft Dodge Yardmaster was following car service rules by routing them back to Peoria.  IIRC, the rules state IF you can a load that is in the general direction of a car’s home rails use it, else return the empty to the railroad from whom you received it when loaded.

And so if that is correct then it makes sense to return them to Peoria and let the other road to use them again… or send them on to whomever they got the loads from.  The fact that sending the empties to Minneapolis, which would have been the short route to NP tracks, makes good sense but I’m pretty sure that’s not what the rules call for.

Dave Nelson