Re: Southern Black vs. FCR Paint

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Jim,

Thank you very much for this answer. It was just the sort of information I was looking for.

Just hours after I sent my question, my copy of RPC 28 arrived. Pages 10-11 have drawings and a photo of a CNO&TP/Southern war emergency composite gondola. Talk about timing. I have one of the F&C SP models of this car in my unbuilt pile, and it seems a close match the Southern car except for the drop doors and their mechanism. I see possibilities.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/8/14 12:33 PM, SMMW wrote:

SOU switched to FCR from black on open-top cars around late ’57.  They were experimenting with a lot of fonts and color combos starting around August 57 until 1960-61.  It was common to see FCR and black 3-bay hoppers with Roman lettering in the late 50s/early 60s.  If you’re modeling pre-57, it was fairly “standard” although some of the Roman fonts did change (but base colors didn’t).

Jim King

Smoky Mountain Model Works, Inc.

Cell (828) 777-5619

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

South-Atlantic Region representative for BJB Products

RTV Silicone moldmaking and urethane casting materials.

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com/Urethane_Casting_Materials.html