CRWX fleet

James McDonald

Hello list,

I am trying to survey the cars that the Capitol Refining Company of Washington DC had in service under the CRWX reporting marks in the earlier parts of the 20th century. They appear in the ORER after 1913, which corresponds nicely to the year that the Capitol Refining Company began their operations in the DC area by taking over the Columbia Cotton Oil and Provisions Corporation.

The number range of the CRWX cars listed in successive ORERs was 201 to 300. From photos I have found it appears that the lower end of that range were AC&F Milton tank cars of 8K gallon capacity. The upper range appears to have been occupied by 8K gallon GATC-built tank cars. The highest number I've been able to document of an AC&F-built car was 224. The lowest number I've been able to find of a GATC-built car is 273.

Does anyone have additional information about the CRWX fleet they would be willing to share, including where the division in the numbering between AC&F- and GATC-built cars occurred?

Thanks and all the best,

James

=-=-=-=
James McDonald