Re: CRWX fleet

Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...>

James,

Can you provide a little more in formation. Do all CRWX cars predate 1914 or were some acquired after that? Do you have any built dates off of specific cars? The answers may help me focus my search a bit more. I hope to be able to provide you with some order dates and sizes.

Eric N.

Hello list,

I am trying to survey the cars that the Capitol Refining Company of
Washington DC had in service under the CRWX reporting marks in the
earlier parts of the 20th century. They appear in the ORER after 1913,
which corresponds nicely to the year that the Capitol Refining Company
began their operations in the DC area by taking over the Columbia Cotton
Oil and Provisions Corporation.

The number range of the CRWX cars listed in successive ORERs was 201 to
300. From photos I have found it appears that the lower end of that
range were AC&F Milton tank cars of 8K gallon capacity. The upper range
appears to have been occupied by 8K gallon GATC-built tank cars. The
highest number I've been able to document of an AC&F-built car was 224.
The lowest number I've been able to find of a GATC-built car is 273.

Does anyone have additional information about the CRWX fleet they would
be willing to share, including where the division in the numbering
between AC&F- and GATC-built cars occurred?

Thanks and all the best,

James

=-=-=-=
James McDonald