Re: WWII Freight Movements to the Charleston POE

John Barry

Ike,

I know this is a very late reply, but I just found this thread and did not see a response to one of your questions.

As far as I can tell, CP, NdeM and any other car sitting on US rails was subject to ODT orders.  They tried to stay out of the way as much as possible, but a significant portion of their work was to avoid congestion in the ports.  Hence the nationwide system of holding and reconsignment points like Lathrop for the SF POE.  The records I've seen at San Bruno deal mostly with special cases and exceptional movements like the consolidation of alcohol from various producers and the transfer of another batch from storage in Louisianna to Richmond for loading on several Soviet tankers.

John Barry
Cameron Park, CA