Re: WWII Freight Movements to the Charleston POE

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 13, 2014, at 10:39 AM, jon miller <atsfus@...> wrote:

On 4/13/2014 10:00 AM, devans1@... wrote:
Curious that at least two of the cars are 36 foot box cars - during WWII 36 foot box cars represented over 10% of the North American boxcar fleet.

    This is interesting.  Does this mean we should have at least 10% of our fleet as 36' cars, assuming we are modeling prewar or during?  I'm not  hunting for a large discussion on this, maybe just a few reply’s.

Jon, that 10% figure is a bit misleading, as many of the 36’ box cars that were still in service during WW II were older and/or second-hand cars owned by short lines and seldom or never went very far off line.  Among the class 1 railroads, those that were buying new 36’ box cars in the 1920s were mostly southeastern RRs:  Southern, L&N, C&O, etc. (the Southern was still taking delivery of new 36’ wood box cars with truss rod underframes as late as 1927).

Since you model the Santa Fe, however, it’s worth noting that the AT&SF still had almost 4,000 36’ box cars on its active roster in 10/41, and that was somewhat more than 10% of the box car  fleet - about one of every seven cars.  A few of those were cars acquired second hand with the purchase of the KCM&O and various short lines, but most were wood-bodied cars of classes Bx-O and Bx-W, -X, -Y, and -Z built in 1906-’15 and upgraded in the early ‘30s to become classes Bx-14 through Bx-17.  They tended to be used mostly in company and short-haul service, but I have a photo of one as far off line as Pensacola, FL.  Fortunately, Al Westerfield produced resin kits for models of those cars, and to model 1941 you should definitely have at least 2 or 3 of them.  Replacing those obsolete cars was the reason for the very large order for new 40’ steel box cars that was delivered in late 1941 and 1942, the 5,000+ cars of class Bx-37.

Richard Hendrickson