Re: sub 40' XM on inside gateway '47

devansprr

Rob,
This is not unexpected. 1946 would be a tough year to project cars in use, but in the January 1943 ORER NMRA reproduced, around 135,000 sub-40 foot boxcars were on the register. Now 62,000 of those cars were CP and CN, and we have had lots of discussions about how often and how far south into the US these cars would reach - but I would guess about 95% of the US is north of Port Arthur, Texas....
I will confess that when I did this analysis about 9 years ago just after returning to the hobby I failed to distinguish between XM and other X variants, so these numbers are not just for XM's. But ignoring CP, CN and the Mexican roads, the US sub-40 foot box car fleet outnumbered the US 50 foot box car fleet 70841 to 47936 (9.5% and 6.4% respectively of the combined X fleet - a total of ~743,000 cars)
Below, as of January 1943, are US RR's with significant sub-40 foot fleets, percentage of their total X* fleet, and the number of 50 foot box cars they also owned (note that I am sure these numbers are not exact - I didn't count each RR's cars exactly):
SOU      13678  43%   200
L&N         7753  52%   397
NYNH&H 7016  88%       0 (NYNH only had 1000 40' cars in 1943!)
ATSF       3448  10%  3611
RDG        3063  40%   309
NC&Stl    3047  76%       0
NYC        2904    6%  2699
CB&Q     2508   10% 2271
Erie         2336  20%   497
DL&W     1943  25%       0
D&H        1811  72%       0
C&O        1806  14%   200
GTW        1672  19% 1079
MP           1637    9% 1296
MSP...      1364   13%  998   (SOO)
BAR         1325   55%     0
B&A         1217
   55%     0
P&LE       1191   24%  200
NYC&Stl  1091   14%  200   (NKP)
StLSF      1084     8%  300
GM&O     1051   26%      0
D&RGW    795   16%  485
MC            697   17%      0
CI&L         615    58%     0 (Monon)
CofNJ       552    18%     0
CV            412    34%     0
The 26 US railroads listed above had a total of 300,000 box cars (40% of the US fleet)! 66,000 sub-40 cars (over 20%), 220,000 40 footers (so that is one sub-40 footer for every 3.3 40 footers!), and only 14,500 50 footers (four sub-40 footers for every 50 footer!). Of these railroads only the ATSF had more 50 foot cars than sub-40 footers. When building a WWII fleet, clearly the sub-40 cars need to be broadly and significantly represented. And this is without any of the Canadian 36' cars.

The remaining sub-40 cars total 4485 and were spread across at least 53 different reporting marks (getting into the secondary roads).

So in WWII I guess I would disagree with the characterization that the sub-40 footers were often secondary roads. But I suspect the sub-40's that survived the end of WWII quickly found themselves on the secondary roads - not only were they short in length, but they were typically narrow and short in height -  just over half the cubic capacity of 50 foot cars being produced at the end of 1945. The sub-40's weren't long for continued use by the major carriers - and most didn't survive at all - post-war the majors began selling off their 1920's steel 40 footers to the secondary roads as the majors headed for higher cube 40 and 50 footers.

Dave Evans

---In STMFC@..., <rdkirkham@...> wrote :

Allen – I’d dearly love to see the car numbers of the CP cars in that sample.   As a modeller I had written off the sub 40 footers for all but MOW and other OCS service for my 1946 era, so this comes as cool news.

Rob Kirkham

Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:56 PM
Subject: [STMFC] sub 40' XM on inside gateway '47

As long as people are talking about '36 XM cars,
south bound the Bieber, CA Oct '47 shows about 2.5% boxcars under '40 (mostly 36, but some
35 and 39 footers) , but less than 1% north bound, go figure.

Some more commons ones were,
8 SOU XM 36 162000-169769, and three others in different series.
4 LN XM 36 10000-11999, and five others in different series.
4 ERIE XM 35 93000-93999,
Also present: CP, RDG, DH, BA, MKT, ATSF, CO, CBQ, PLE

Allen Rueter , Richard's Yard book, Dave's DB