Re: sub 40' XM on inside gateway '47

David Sieber

Gentlemen,

     May I remind you of Ray Breyer's outstanding and comprehensive spreadsheet in the STMFC files, All Short Boxcars, 1930-1959 (Ray Breyer).xls . It details 1,382(!) series of short boxcars by roadname, reporting marks and road numbers, with outside dimensions, cuft and CAPY, plus ORER totals for each series in 1930, 1945, 1950, 1951, 1955, 1957 and 1959. It also includes spreadsheets on total quantities of all boxcars by roadname for each of those years, and on HO kits that could be used to model short boxcars still in use post WWII, with the year last in service. That hopefully should answer many questions on short boxcars; it certainly gave me a couple of hours of study to see what 36-38 footers might still be seen in my Transition modeling era!

HTH, Dave Sieber, Reno NV