Re: Less than 40-foot box car data from 1943 ORER

Benjamin Hom

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
"Ben, you’re right, of course, but only one car?  Seems to me that only barely qualifies as an exception.

More to the point, the Akron, Canton & Youngstown acquired a couple of hundred ex-Frisco 50 single-sheathed ca. 1958, which is late in the time span covered by this list but still barely qualifies as “steam era. However, for the late ‘40s-early ‘50s period Bill and I (and many others on this list) are modeling, his observation is essentially correct to the best of my knowledge."

Honestly, it was too easy to take shots at an absolute statement.  No argument here that we're stretching to find exceptions - the only other one I can think of is the 1938-41 NYC lease of ATSF Class Fe-S double-sheathed automobile boxcars, and that's stretching the definition to include both steel underframe and the fact that NYC borrowed them from somebody else.

Ben Hom