Re: Larry Kline

Gerry Fitzgerald

I was quite saddened and surprised to hear of the passing of Larry Kline just now. Larry was a wonderful person and the definition of a gentleman and scholar. All those in the hobby who had the privilege to know him will miss him. I always looked forward to talking with him at various local and national RPM and NMRA meets and no matter what the topic, I always came away learning something new and interesting. I first met him back when I was in grad school in Pittsburgh and always learned a great deal from him whenever we chatted. The Postwar Freight Car Fleet: North American Freight Car Designs from 1898 to 1947, which Larry co-authored with Ted Culotta is a terrific book and a main stay of any RPM freight car library. I always keep my copy handy! Larry was a truly good person, a wonderful modeler, and he was always willing to share his encyclopedic knowledge of railroad history and freight car design with others. He was also just a nice guy who made the hobby a better place. My condolences go to his family and friends.

Gerard

Gerard J. Fitzgerald

Charlottesville, Virginia